1. Where are your candles made?
We individually hand-pour all of our own candles right here in the Blue Mountains of Australia. Our candles are created in a studio rather than pumped out of a factory, so you know that you are buying quality and supporting an Australian owned and operated business.
2. What sort of wax do you use?
Our candles are made with a natural plant derived wax called Palm Wax. Palm candles are beautiful and unique due to crystals that form in the wax during the candle making process.
The wax that we use is good for you and good for the Environment - see the answer to Question 3 below.
3. Is your wax sustainable and free of harmful chemicals?
Absolutely, yes! Our waxes are sourced from sustainable plantations ensuring no habitat loss for endangered species. You can read more about the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil here.
Because our wax is vegetable based, it doesn't contain any petrochemicals, bleaches or potentially carcinogenic chemicals like some other candle waxes. We leave our candles free of synthetic colourants, and scent with only the finest fragrant and essential oils.
4. How will your candles burn?
We have performed quality testing and optimisation over a number of years to ensure that every component of every candle is perfect. By following the burning instructions on the label and following our tips below (Question 5), you will have a candle that burns cleanly and meets or exceeds the stated burn times.
5. Do you have any tips when burning your candles?
The most important thing to remember when burning your candle is to follow ALL safety instructions on the bottom of the candle. If you are in doubt or require some clarification, please do not hesitate to Contact Us.To make sure that you get the most from your candle, always:
• Burn on a level surface, free from drafts - this will give an even burn
• Burn for 2 to 3 hours at a time, extinguishing the flame and allowing to solidify between burns - this ensures that the well reaches the outer edge of the candle without cracking and spilling
• Keep the wick trimmed to around 6mm - it is easiest to do this after burning when the wick has cooled, just tap the end of the wick and discard.
6. Are your candles strongly scented?
When hand pouring our candles, we add the maximum possible amount of fragrant and essential oils - this means that your candle is scented the whole way through, resulting in excellent scent throw when burning.
Although we add the same amount of scent to every candle, some perfumes are very strong while others are more subtle. You will find an indication of scent strength in the candle descriptions within our Online Shop. For those who prefer unscented, completely pure candles, we also make a Natural Unscented range of pillars.
7. How can I get burnt votive candles out of the glass?
We design our votive candles to completely liquefy within the glass votive holders, and you will find that there is very little wax residue left on the glass walls after the candle has finished burning. You can add a few drops of water to the glass holder before inserting the votive to be sure that any remaining wax will be easily removed.
8. Do your candles melt in very hot weather?
One of the reasons that we use palm wax is its high melting point, meaning that it burns slowly with the added advantage of being less likely to melt on a hot day and damage your furniture. Palm wax has a melting point of close to 60 degrees celsius, much higher than other waxes like paraffin or soy. This makes palm candles ideal for very hot climates.
9. I don't live in Australia - can I still purchase your candles online?
We can ship your order just about anywhere in the world, but please be warned that international postage can sometimes be prohibitive. Please contact us if you'd like a quote on shipping rates.